The City Council is responsible for appointing individuals to serve on the boards and committees listed below. The City Council makes most appointments in September each year for terms starting October, with the exception of a few boards. The City typically advertises for applicants in the summer.
On October 10, 2019, the City Council adopted Ordinance 2019-20 establishing a Code of Ethics and Conduct for City Officials and Employees. Every individual employed by the City of Gonzales or appointed to a board, committee or commission governed by the City of Gonzales, must sign a statement affirming they have read and understood the City of Gonzales Code of Ethics.
- Leadership abilities and a commitment to the growth and redevelopment of Gonzales.
- Enthusiastic, willing to try new ideas and bring a high level of creativity to redevelopment process.
- 4-10 hours per month of available time outside of board meetings
- Supports board decisions, Main Street Director, and City of Gonzales, even when he or she may disagree with the majority decision.
- Understands the mission & vision of the Main Street Program
- promotes goals and activities to his or her own constituent groups and to the community as a whole.
- Attends the majority of board meetings (not missing 3 or more consecutive meetings)
- Attends as many special events and fundraisers as possible
- Attends the mandatory Board Training and workshops held each year by the Texas Historical Commission
- Contributes knowledge, financial resources or labor to Gonzales Main Street.
- Offers opinions honestly, without reservation and in a constructive way.
- Does not commit more time to the Main Street program than he or she can realistically afford delegates responsibilities to committees when appropriate.
- Promotes unity within the organization and seeks to resolve conflicts takes responsibility of his/her position on the board and takes appropriate action if life situations alter his/her time commitment.