411 Saint Lawrence Street
Gonzales, Texas 78629
City of Gonzales Fire Department Facebook Page
The first fire department, a hook and ladder company, was established about 1884 when the city authorized the purchase of 200 feet of firehose. The first equipment was a two-wheel cart and hand-drawn hook and ladder truck.
The present day department was organized in March 1899 and relied on fund raising and volunteer contributions. In May of 1948 the city took over the financial operation of the department.
The present two story fire station with two bays was built in 1908. It was originally constructed to house horse drawn equipment. It was remodeled in 1918 to accommodate the motor drawn pumper. It was remodeled again in 1958.
The Gonzales Fire Department is manned by a dedicated group of career firefighters and volunteer firefighters.